MOPNET: EPSRC Matrix and Operator Pencil Network
MOPNET is an EPSRC Network to study the linear algebra, analysis, engineering and physics of matrix and operator pencils. The Network started officially on 1st July 2009, although there was a Meeting Zero from March 30th-31st 2009, financed by Cardiff School of Mathematics and the Wales Institute for Mathematical and Computational Sciences.
The main research topics covered by MOPNET will be:
- General theory of operator pencils;
- Theory and numerics for structured polynomial problems;
- Numerical methods for spectra of analytic pencil problems;
- Pseudospectra of analytic functions;
- Linear algebra of structured parameter-dependent linear systems;
- PDEs on domains with special structure.
- MOPNET is genuinely interdisciplinary, bringing together engineers, mathematicians and physicists to speak and work on problems of mutual interest.
NEXT MEETING: 2-3 April 2012 in BATH. Details here.
Current nodes and members are listed below. We welcome expressions of interest from people and groups who wish to join MOPNET.
- Cardiff (Coordinating Node)
- KCL and UCL
- Heriot-Watt and Strathclyde
- Expansion Node
The Scientific Committee is composed of Professor E.B. Davies (King's College, London); Professor Seamus Garvey (Nottingham); Professor Nick Higham (Manchester); Professor John McWhirter (Cardiff); and Professor Alastair Spence (Bath).
- Meeting Six, April 2nd-3rd 2012. REGISTER NOW!.
- Meeting Five, September 12th-13th 2011: details and most lecture notes available.
- Meeting Three, April 27th-28th 2011: details and some lecture notes available..
- Meeting Three, September 20th-22nd 2010: details and some lecture notes available..
- Meeting Two, March 29th-30th 2010: lecture notes available!.
- Meeting One, September 14th-15th 2009: lecture notes available!.
- Meeting Zero, March 30th-31st 2009: lecture notes available!.
Some links to recent publications, lecture notes and literature:
- Papers on Pencils on MathSciNet.
- Lecture Notes for Meeting 0.
- Lecture Notes for Meeting 1.
- Lecture Notes for Meeting 2.
- Lecture Notes for Meeting 3.
- Preprint by Meerbergen and Spence on Inverse Iteration for Purely Imaginary Eigenvalues with Applications to Hopf Bifurcation (c.f. Spence's talk at MOPNET 0).
- Preprint by Brian Davies on Algebraic Aspects of Spectral Theory (paper arising from meetings 0-2).
- Preprint by Freitag and Spence on The Calculation of the Distance to Instability by the Computation of a Jordan Block (c.f. Spence's talk at MOPNET 3).
- MOPNET case for support, including literature review.
- Don't forget The Archive!.
We shall maintain a list of software for problems which involve matrix and operator pencils in any way.